Scalloped Potatoes and Parsnips
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 2 Tbs. Water
- 2 Parsnips (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 Small Pennsylvania Russet Potatoes (about 3/4 pound)
- 1-1/4 Cups Low-Fat (1%) Milk
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1-1/2 Tbs. All-Purpose Flour
- A Pinch Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Halve an onion lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- In a large saucepan cook onion in water, covered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Remove cover and cook onion until any liquid in saucepan is evaporated.
- Peel parsnips and potatoes.
- Grate parsnips coarse and cut potatoes crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- In a 2-cup measure or bowl whisk together milk, broth, and flour until combined well.
- Add milk mixture to onion with parsnips, potatoes, nutmeg, and salt to taste and simmer, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
- Pour vegetable mixture carefully into a shallow 1-1/2-quart baking dish and bake in lower third of oven 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.