Mashed Potatoes with Parsnips and Caramelized Onions
Makes 8 Servings
- 3/4 Stick Butter
- 2-1/2 Large Onions Halved & Sliced
- 2 Tbs. Chopped Fresh Rosemary or 2 Tsp. Dried
- 6 Parsnips Peeled & Sliced
- 4 Large Pennsylvania Russet Potatoes Peeled & Sliced
- 1 Cup Heated Milk
- Melt 1-1/2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until golden, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Mix in rosemary. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add parsnips and potatoes; boil until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain well. Return vegetables to pot; mash.
- Add warm milk and 4-1/2 tablespoons butter; stir until smooth.
- Stir in onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
- Re-warm over medium-high heat, stirring frequently and adding more milk if too dry.)